Professor of Advertising and Marketing Communications
University: St. Lawrence College
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Mary Deacon is an advertising and marketing professional who teaches at the Kingston campus of St. Lawrence College in Ontario, Canada. She has an agency background and experience in brand client service and strategy with an emphasis on business development and digital and social media marketing strategy.
Her career began in the entertainment industry in 1997. Then, it expanded into consumer packaged goods, health and beauty, food, retail, government, non-profit, and pharmaceutical marketing with clients in Canada, the U.S., and overseas.
She prides herself on building strong relationships with clients, listening to their needs, and developing solutions to meet those needs. This has resulted in numerous campaign and professional awards of excellence, including two peer recognition awards for demonstrating excellence in the company values while working with Klick Health. These values include Customer Empathy, Profitability Through Ingenuity, Always Go Beyond, and Set-up for Success.
We asked Deacon a few questions. Her answers are below:
WHAT SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING TEACHING TIPS DO YOU HAVE?
When we use Mimic Social, I don’t have the students immediately dive into the simulation. First, I have them review all of the background information in the simulation and develop a social media strategy based on the goals and target audiences provided. This includes:
- Reviewing the Bhui Bags data and auditing a competitor
- Indicating which goals they will primarily focus on, with
- Indicating which target audiences they will focus on, with
- Identifying their messaging strategy
- Indicating which social channels they will use to implement their strategy
- Showing how they will measure success
We also hold weekly debriefs after each round where students share their successes and challenges.
WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES AND TALENTS?
I am a musical theatre geek, gym rat, and a foodie.
CONNECT WITH MARY DEACON
Thank you, Mary, and congratulations!
Latest posts by Nikki Hernandez (see all)
- Stukent March Madness Challenge 2019 - March 18, 2019
- Introducing the Newest Principles of Marketing Courseware - March 12, 2019
- Professor of the Month: Mary Deacon - March 4, 2019
9 MUST-HAVE INTERNET MARKETING TOOLS
get your hands on the tools that the pros use